Looking for a New Year’s refresh? An early spring clean might be just what you need. And a great way to get a fresh start and to rid your home of items no longer used or needed is to donate! Avon Lake has some great options of places to donate your items.
Some simple steps to decluttering from Marie Kondo, a professional organizer, tidying expert and star of the Netflix show ‘Tidying Up’ include:
- Committing yourself to tidying up: setting the intention to put in the time and effort required. When you approach your clean-out with a can-do attitude, you’ll find the energy and motivation you need to do your clean in one go.
- Imagine your ideal lifestyle: thinking about what kind of space you want to live in can help you clarify why you want to tidy and help you envision your best life/living space.
- Finish discarding first: letting go of belongings you have never used teaches you that you have no purpose for that in your life at the moment. Discarding first allows you to grasp on how much you have and what needs to be stored organized.
- Tidy by category, not location: When tidying each place separately you’re repeating the same work in many locations. Instead choose to tidy by category such as clothing, books, kitchenware etc. and ending with sentimental items.
- Follow the right order: Following the right order has proven to be the most efficient and effective. Starting with clothes (easy) and ending with sentimental items (hard) really helps to hone your decision-making skills as you go.
- Ask yourself if it sparks joy: Only you know what kind of living environment makes you happy. When going through items and asking yourself ‘does this spark joy?’ you can better identify items that are worth keeping.
Donate your items in Avon Lake:
Now what to do with all of your items you will be getting rid of! Below are a few places here in Avon Lake that would be a great place to drop donations off.
Good Neighbor Thrift Shop
158 Lear Rd, Avon Lake, OH 44012
Visit Good Neighbor Thrift Shop on Facebook
Community Resource Services
33479 Lake Rd C, Avon Lake, OH 44012
Visit the CRS Website
AMVETS Dept. of Ohio Service Foundation
Drop-off location in parking lot
State Route 83 and Walker Road, Avon Lake, Oh. 44012
View more AMVETS drop off locations